Monday, December 19, 2011

Worry

This time of year tends to reveal worries about things that cannot be controlled.  Some reminders from throughout the ages are below.


Thomas Hardin, founder of Canterbury Financial Group and author of Never Too Old to Rock and Roll and Investor Revolution:
I don’t spend much time contemplating what I’d do in an ice age oblivion following the meteor strike that scientists feel is bound to happen.  I’m unable to change the outcome, so there’s no use calculating what I’d do if it happened.

The 20th century theologian Reinhold Niebuhr is credited with what became known as The Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Ovid, the racy Roman poet that authored Metamorphoses, writes:
Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.

Sometime around AD 30, Jesus Christ shared from a mountaintop:
Do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:34 (NASV)

And in the timeless words of Bobby McFerrin:
Don't worry, be happy

Best,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment